Lisa Bentley is a founding partner of Aguilar Bentley LLC. She is an experienced litigator whose practice focuses on commercial litigation in federal and state courts and across various arbitral forums. Lisa has extensive experience litigating a variety of complex business disputes, including contract and licensing matters, business torts, fraud and fiduciary duty claims, insurance litigation, claims made under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, employment and restrictive covenant disputes, and intellectual property matters. Lisa also conducts internal investigations and assists clients in mediations and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. Some of her notable matters include:
- Representation of Fortune 500 company against a preliminary injunction motion in federal court related to breach of contract and declaratory judgment claims;
- Representation of media company in federal litigation concerning allegations of trade secret misappropriation and other business torts;
- Representation of software company in Commercial Division of New York Supreme Court in making claims for breach of licensing agreement;
- Representation of employer defending against statutory retaliation claims in New Jersey Superior Court;
- Representation of employee in arbitration, defending against claims of breach of restrictive covenant agreement by former employer;
- Representation of independent directors of a board in shareholder derivative action;
- Representation of international furniture company in connection with breach of contract claims in the Commercial Division of the New York Supreme Court;
- Representation of corporate shareholder and employee in connection with claims of breach of company operating agreement and employment agreement;
- Representation of publishing company in connection with defense of claims of libel and slander;
- Representation of corporate founder in business dissolution matter alleging claims against co-founder;
- Representation of plaintiff insured in connection with breach of contract claims for failure of insurance company to pay out pursuant to terms of policy.
In 2014, Lisa joined with Anna Aguilar to form Aguilar Bentley LLC. Prior to the formation of the firm, she worked in the litigation group of a boutique law firm, and prior to that, Lisa was a member of the Litigation Department in the New York office of Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP.
At Willkie Farr, Lisa worked on matters ranging from insurance to white collar criminal defense to intellectual property to securities, including trials taking place in the New York, Delaware and federal courts, and numerous arbitrations. At the same time, Lisa counseled businesses in connection with internal investigations, including investigations pertaining to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, accounting irregularities, criminal liability and suspicious trading practices.
Lisa is an active volunteer with NJ LEEP, a college access and success program serving low-income and first-generation students and families in the greater Newark, NJ area.
A passionate advocate, Lisa pursues extraordinary results for every client
- B.A., University of Virginia, with distinction, Phi Beta Kappa
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, Virginia Journal of Social Policy and the Law
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- New York City Bar Association
-Member, Small Law Firms Committee
- New York State Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- New York Women’s Bar Association
- “Actions by Insureds Against Brokers: ‘Special Relationships’ Since ‘Voss.’” N.Y. Law Journal (April 4, 2016).
- “Making the Most of Your Women-Owned Law Firm.” New Jersey Women’s Bar Association (March 2019).
- “Contractual Impossibility and Frustration of Purpose in the Face of the COVID-19 Epidemic.” Client Notification (April 2020).